The club's official website announced on Monday that a deal had been done to reunite 28-year-old Botha with international team-mate Victor Matfield in France, despite claims to the contrary emanating from his Super 14 franchise the Bulls.
And the saga rumbled on as the World Cup winner was named in the Bulls starting XV for their Super 14 clash with the Sharks in Pretoria this weekend.
However, Toulon have now cleared up any confusion by revealing that Botha has never been one of their players.
"Nothing is happening with Botha," a Toulon said. "He is not one of our players and never has been.
"The reports that he has moved to Toulon are completely false.
"It was wrong information that was put out on our website."
The Bulls had threatened to go to the International Rugby Board if Botha, who is tied to a long-term contract with the South African side, had attempted to break it in order to take up a lucrative two-year deal in France.
The player, who has long been regarded as one of the world's best second row forwards, has been struggling with an ankle injury for two months but is now close to full fitness and will definitely start against the Sharks.
Coach Frans Ludek is delighted to have the player at his disposal and told the Bulls official website: "Bakkies looks fresh and the match will determine how long he is going to be on the field.
"He is obviously not ready for the full 80 minutes but it is wonderful to have him in the team because apart from all his other attributes he is one of those players that can turn a game around and it is great to have another very experienced guy on the field."