FirstCape, who received the support of Lions legends Sir Ian McGeechan and Andy Irvine at a recent press launch for the initiative, will achieve this by reducing approximately 0.8% ABV on all their full-strength red wines commencing next month and will also increase sales and marketing of their 5.5% ABV range of light wines in 2012.
"We have worked closely with the WSTA to embrace the Responsibility Deal and by removing such a significant number of units of alcohol from the UK market, we reaffirm our position and intention to support the Deal," said Greg Wilkins, FirstCape's joint UK director.
"In the past 12 months, we have really evolved the lighter style market by focusing on growing our FirstCape Café Collection range and this has now become a major focus for retailers alike."
Anne Milton, Public Health Minister added: "We want businesses to help make it easier for people to cut down on the amount of alcohol they drink. FirstCape has taken a positive step. We are now working with other companies on how we can reduce the amount of alcohol in the market. I hope others will also step up and help us deliver real public health benefits."
Legendary Lions Sir Ian McGeechan and Andy Irvine joined Alesha Dixon in celebrating FirstCape's pledge
- FirstCape is the UK's 4th largest selling wine brand
- FirstCape Café Collection is one of the fastest growing lighter style wine brands in the UK
- The FirstCape Café Collection range has less than half the average alcohol content of a standard wine (Café Collection is 5.5% ABV, average standard wine is 13%)
- FirstCape Café Collection is only 60 calories per 125 glass, average standard wine is 80 calories
- FirstCape Café Collection is available in Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco,Budgens, Costcutter, Londis, Bargain Booze and Spar
- FirstCape Café Collection still is priced from RRP £3.99
- FirstCape Café Collection sparkling is priced from RRP £5.99
- FirstCape wine ranges include FirstCape, Limited Release, First Selection, Café Collection, Sparkler, Millstone, Cape Bay, Winemakers Selection, Blue Range and 50CL
- FirstCape supports the Drinkaware campaign
- Visit www.firstcape.com for more information