Springbok coach Peter De Villiers will have to wait to learn his fate following his appearance before a SANZAR disciplinary hearing today.
De Villiers was hauled before judicial officer Jannie Lubbe in Cape Town after being slapped with a misconduct charge for comments made on Fox Sports’ Rugby Club programme after his side had lost two games to New Zealand.
No stranger to controversy, De Villiers claimed the All Blacks had been assisted by the referees in order to build momentum towards next year’s Rugby World Cup, which is being staged in New Zealand.
"I've got my own observations about the last two tests [against New Zealand], and I can't say it in public," he said in the programme last month. "But we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year, and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year."
The misconduct charge leveled against their top coach brought an angry response from the South African Rugby Union
chairman, Oregan Hoskins, who suggested it was tantamount to a “declaration of war” by New Zealand and Australia against the Springboks.
No decision was given at the end of the hearing and South Africa’s National Team Manager, Andy Marinos, said he expected a decision after the weekend.
"The judicial officer advised us that he is going to consider his judgment and let us know by the latest beginning of next week," he said.
South Africa's next Tri-Nations outing is against the All Blacks at the National Stadium in Soweto on 21 August 21, when Springbok skipper John Smit is scheduled to become the latest member of world rugby’s 100 cap club.