Ireland’s historic victory against New Zealand in Chicago will be talked about for generations, and ex-players, coaches and rugby pundits hailed their incredible effort at Soldier Field after their 40-29 win.
Joe Schmidt’s men scored five tries, including three in the first half from Jordi Murphy, CJ Stander and Conor Murray which helped them establish a 25-8 lead at the break.
Click here to buy your brand new Lions jersey from the Official Store
New Zealand came roaring back after the break and scored three second-half tries through TJ Perenara, Ben Smith and Scott Barrett, sparking memories of their 2013 comeback against Ireland in Dublin – where the All Blacks snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.
But Robbie Henshaw ensured Ireland’s 111-year wait for victory against the All Blacks was over with a late try.
The pair will do battle again in Dublin on Saturday week, where New Zealand will be looking to get back on track while Ireland will look to build on their momentum and win for the second time in a week.
Henshaw's try sparked pandemonium across social media from proud Irishman, stunned New Zealanders and enthralled fans.
1. All Black legend Dan Carter watched the match with Ireland's Ronan O'Gara
@aucklandcricket @BLACKCAPS Congratulations Ireland. A long time coming but deserved the win tonight. Someone's happy & it's not me @RonanOGara10 pic.twitter.com/iStgCExAGn
— Dan Carter (@DanCarter) November 5, 2016
2. Golfer Shane Lowry enjoyed the show
Amazing stuff in Chicago. #coybig ?????
— Shane Lowry (@ShaneLowryGolf) November 5, 2016
3. British & Irish Lion Scott Quinnell was full of praise
Congratulations @IrishRugby what a win.The best thing about history is creating it. You boys have done yourselves and your country proud. ??
— Scott Quinnell (@ScottQuinnell) November 5, 2016
4. Harry Potter author J.K.Rowling was delighted to see Ireland win
I take back (nearly) everything I said about 2016! Congratulations @IrishRugby! https://t.co/SlPEaNZTm4
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) November 5, 2016
5. Cian Healy was part of the Ireland team
Jesus lads, that was some craic!
— Cian Healy (@ProperChurch) November 6, 2016
6. Brian O'Driscoll hailed the performance of Conor Murray
To a man we were brilliant but @ConorMurray_9 once again was ridiculous!!!
— Brian O'Driscoll (@BrianODriscoll) November 5, 2016
7. All Black Nick Evans was impressed with Ireland's display
? Ireland. Absolutely heroic!!!!
— Nick Evans (@nick10evans) November 5, 2016
8. Ronan O'Gara was delighted to see his country win
Oh to be an Irish rugby player today.. what a feeling..ye are some warriors..get up ye boyo's.. gutted to be missing the session in Chicago
— Ronan O Gara (@RonanOGara10) November 5, 2016
9. A stunned Niall Horan from One Direction
Cannot believe that just happened .. congratulations Ireland . What a performance! Been a long time coming . ??????
— Niall Horan (@NiallOfficial) November 5, 2016
10. Comedian Dara O'Briain watched history take place in Chicago
Well done Ireland!!! 111 years it took to beat the All-Blacks. They did it tonight!
— Dara Ó Briain (@daraobriain) November 5, 2016
11. Golfer Rory McIlroy was lost for words
— Rory McIlroy (@McIlroyRory) November 5, 2016
12. Sonny Bill Williams is adamant his New Zealand side will bounce back
Congratulations Ireland on making history, it shows that even the best can lose! #18inarow I'm sure the boys will bounce back.
— Sonny Bill Williams (@SonnyBWilliams) November 6, 2016
13. Brian Moore hailed Ireland's display
Congratulations to the Irish team for their historical win over New Zealand today; an outstanding performance.
— Brian Moore (@brianmoore666) November 5, 2016
14. Former All Black captain Sean Fitzpatrick put loyalties to one side
Go Ireland ?? so deserved. Congratulations. #IREvNZL
— Sean Fitzpatrick (@frontrow92) November 5, 2016
15. USA Vice President Joe Biden sent a special message to Ireland's Rob Kearney
Congrats to cousin @KearneyRob on behalf of the Bidens. @IrishRugby's 1st win over New Zealand in 111 years. History made again in Chicago.
— Vice President Biden (@VP) November 6, 2016