Owen Farrell (Saracens, England) will replace Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) in the starting XV for tonight’s clash with South Africa ‘A’ at Cape Town Stadium.
The England captain will start at fly-half owing to a minor ankle sprain to Biggar picked up in training yesterday.
Elsewhere, Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) moves to the left wing to replace Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales), with Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) drafted in to start at full back.
Adams, the Tour’s top try scorer, drops out of the matchday squad to join his partner via Zoom to witness the birth of his first child.
“Dan’s got a minor ankle sprain which is not worth risking, so Owen comes in at 10,” said The British & Irish Lions Head Coach, Warren Gatland.
“We’ve always said family comes first, so naturally Josh drops out as planned to be with his partner. We wish them both our very best wishes for an easy delivery.”
SOUTH AFRICA ‘A’ v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
Wednesday 14 July 2021
Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town
Kick-off: 7pm (BST)
15. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby, Wales) #846
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby, Scotland) #844
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht Rugby, Ireland) #837
11. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, England) #780
9. Conor Murray – captain (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
5. Iain Henderson (Ulster Rugby, Ireland) #808
6. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #854
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
8. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby, Wales) #779
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #848
19. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852
20. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838
21. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
22. Gareth Davies (Scarlets, Wales) #850
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822